Sunday 6 October 2019

DONALD PLEASENCE CENTENARY: BORN 100 YEARS AGO TODAY!


BORN ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO TODAY!... Today marks the centenary birthday of actor Donald Pleasence on October 5th 1919. Born in Worksop, Nottinghamshire, England, he was the son of Alice (née Armitage) and Thomas Stanley Pleasence, a railway stationmaster.


TODAY, AFTER HIS PASSING... you can read all about Pleasence service during WW2, his capture as a prisoner of war, humbleness kept that under wraps for most of his life.. but he would talk and share about a fateful day and television broadcast, where both he and Peter Cushing received positive critical attention for their roles in the BBC version of Nineteen Eighty-Four (1954) from the novel by George Orwell. Pleasence played Syme, to Cushing's Winston Smith. BOTH terrified the British public! I could write much here about the amazing Pleasence career, the films, the TV and theatre.. but I have left plenty of space and thread, for everyone to do that, in this post at the FACEBOOK PCASUK FAN PAGE and leave that to you to share . . 😉


 DONALD PLEASENCE AS SYME IN THE BBC LIVE PRODUCTION OF '1984' IN 1954.


PLEASENCE IN the 1959 'FLESH AND THE FIENDS' as William Hare 


 A FULL FEATURE REVIEW WITH VINTAGE LOBBY CARD GALLERY! HERE!


AS JACK SEWARD in the 1979 version of 'DRACULA'





ABOVE: CUSHING AND PLEASENCE TOGETHER in 'Trial by Combat' 

DONALD PLEASENCE bumped along with Peter in several roles on the big screen, mostly co starring in films like 'The Flesh And The Fiends' 'Suspect' 'From Beyond The Grave' 'The Uncanny' 'Trial By Combat' and 'The Devil's Men'. In several of his roles, Pleasence was able to with little dialogue reach and un-nerve the audience, using something his actress daughter once referred to as 'Pleasencing' . . it worked. It ALWAYS worked.


TO DO DONALD PLEASENCE justice it would take several days, many, many posts to even scratch the surface of his amazing talent and presence. I am sure everyone here, can name three if not FIVE of their favourite Pleasence performances, because each one was different, a different character... but off screen, Donald was always one... charming, gentle and always entertaining... A VERY Happy Birthday Donald Pleasence... you are missed by many and celebrated by all who were entertained by your sensitivity and brilliant talent! 😉 - Marcus 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Dis Guy. I am taking the time to answer your question, even though I have given a full explanation, several times on the facebook fan page AND here, also you managed to post that comment on three other posts, to gain my attention..I guess you are not a visitor here or at the facebook page. So here we go. Some of the photographs, I do actually own, I own the rights to them, the negatives, as well as many contact sheets, where some of the photographs have come from. I was lucky enough to either know the photographer, who was selling his archive or I approached him on the subject of purchasing the material. So, they do belong to me, to use as I wish. If you are unaware of the conditions and contract that photographers who took many of these studios, look it up. Many collectors, traders, would be selling copies of these pics, but I post them and share them for others to see or add to their collections, for free. Look at todays post on the facebook page, it's a full colour transparency of Peter from The Vampire Lovers, prices ranging from £20 to £30 are being asked by traders on ebay or you could buy a book from 2103, which uses the pic for £35. I can tell you, they didn't request permission to use that photograph, for free. I wonder if you are aware of the Fair Use Act : title 17, U. S. Code... which is used by most people who write blogs and posts. You'll find it at the bottom of this page, where it sits on ALL posts. .. . I will continue on another post below . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. . .. We fall well within the requirements for that.Finally, what I include on the pics, is not a watermark of ownership, it is a tag for others to see and hope they too are admirers of Peter's work and may come and visit us. That is how we have a following of over 34K people internationally. Publicity stills were often distributed by, the 'distributor' or press office... much of that material now is a very good source of income for sellers on ebay, conventions.. I don't do that. The PCAS collection and archive has been built up over 60 years. I purchased that back in 1978, I don't hoard the collection away, I share it. I have just recently purchased seven rare books from Peter Cushing's personal library. They are full of notes, writing an clippings.. I will be sharing those with our followers and friends on the website and facebook fan page too. So, maybe you can now understand, much of what I post, I own...some is part of fair use conditions...and the tag of our site name ID is there for others to know we are here and would be very welcome to join us. I can not help thinking, even though your comment angle is copyright, there could well be another reason for your question? Many of these photographs you would probably like to have a copy of too maybe.. without the IP mark? Well, I get many people every week who request a un-IP version of the pic. In most cases, I send them just that, if they ask. Maybe you don't know that? If I suspect they want a hi res version of the pic, sent down line, for printing and selling on ebay..I can't help them. Maybe you want to post a version of the photograph yourself on another site, your site (??) , but hey, something in you just can't bring yourself to support pcas, something in you just doesn't want to join in . . celebrating the life and career of Peter Cushing on facebook for the last ten years... which we work so hard to support in our daily posts and rare items, free competitions and ..friendship. I don't know the answer. What I do know is, thousands of people are interested in what I post, are supportive of the means and methods I use to do that. Maybe you are the odd one out? People are complicated. You are welcome anytime to join us, comment and have fun with others here? If that isn't your idea of fun and supporting a fan club, which Peter Cushing actually instigated and requested back in 1957 . . then, I wish you well. Stay safe and well and thank you for your interest. - Marcus Brooks (pcasuk manager) This may also interest you posted yesterday : https://petercushingblog.blogspot.com/2020/10/handsup-rare-dracula-risen-from-grave.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...