Thursday 2 February 2017

OOOH THE CELLER??? #TOOCOOLTUESDAY


#TOOCOOLTUESDAY : Here's a little gem that always makes me laugh, no matter how many times I watch it. Twenty-five years after Peter Cushing's 'The Man Who Finally Died' was released in 1963, some snippets featuring Peter were used in a tv promotion campaign by Holsten Pilsner... you know the one where' they turn the sugar into alcohol' 😉 .. It was quite clever using Cushing's character's dialogue into a plug for a tipple, and the pay-off, is a funny one.


APART FROM PRESS ADVERTS in the 1950's and 60's, Cushing hadn't until 1987 made any tv commercials, but based on the positive response to this ad, he signed up to appear in two TV ads for Borthwick's Roasts and Steaks! In the ads he plays a professor who discovers a Neanderthal man..shades of 'Horror Express?...


BUT CUSHING HAD SIGNED UP for the ads as a test. He had only recently recovered from illness, and contracts for several film commitments, The Holmes 'Abbot's Cry' for Tyburn being one, were awaiting his signature. The commercials took four days to shoot, and in his words, 'Really took it out of me. These adverts will be my swan song..' 'I did them because I had been offered two films parts and I didn't know if I would be up to the work. I didn't want to let anyone down so I thought I'd cut my teeth on these two commercials. But having spent four days shooting, I have decided not to do any more films....'



 COME JOIN US AT OUR FACEBOOK FAN PAGE! HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...